[Editor’s note: Kindergarten students at Eugene Field Elementary School, 720 Tremont Ave., Ottawa, provided The Herald with their favorite Christmas dinner recipes as part of the newspaper’s special Twelve in 12/12 holiday series. Here are 12 submissions from Kay Regan’s class.]
1. (Gingerbread man) Four cubes of flour, some frosting, fake buttons. Make them into a gingerbread man. Bake it hot for 6 minutes.
2. (Chocolate chip cookies) 5 inches of flour. Take a cup the size of your cookie, add frosting which is the brown things. Then take chocolate frosting and put it around the brown things. Cook in the oven, I think for 20 minutes at 10 degrees.
3. (Pumpkin pie) Two scoops of sugar, one pumpkin.
4. (Chocolate chip cookies) Dough. Chocolate chips. 2 ounces of flour, 3 ounces of water, 4 ounces of chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for 15 hours at 5 degrees.
5. (Cherry pie) You get a pan and put the crust in. Then you let the crust harden up. Then you put the cherries in from the store. Then you put more crust on the top. Bake it for 10 minutes at 20 degrees.
6. (Pumpkin pie) It has dough under it. It has pumpkin. Then we eat it.
7. (Gingerbread house) Dough with chocolate, then I put some frosting, then I put some of these drops with candy. I put yellow frosting for the hair. For the gingerbread house I put dough with chocolate, doorknob was cherry sprinkles. I made the windows with purple frosting. I put a line down and a line across. That’s all!
8. (Gingerbread cookie) 1/2 cup of flour, 2 cups of ginger, 1/2 cup of water. Mix, put in the oven to bake for 5 hours at 6 degrees. When done, eat!
9. (Chocolate chip cookies) 1/2 bag of chips, 1 full bag of sugar, 1/4 bag of flour, vinegar.
10. (Gingerbread boy) Three flours, two drops of water, then four drops of milk. Stir it. Roll it out, cut it with cookie cutter, put him in the oven at 50 degrees. Bake 20 minutes. Then he’s done. I take him out and then I eat him.
11. (Sugar cookies) We make the chocolate. We use sprinkles, then we bake the gingerbread in the bowl in the oven at warm.
12. (Santa/Rudolph cookies) The dough out of flour, then food coloring, red-orange polka-dots. Then put in the oven at 15 degrees for 15 minutes. Put on a plate. Start eating them, leave some for Santa.
[Editor’s note: Kindergarten students at Eugene Field Elementary School, 720 Tremont Ave., Ottawa, provided The Herald with their favorite Christmas dinner recipes as part of the newspaper’s special Twelve in 12/12 holiday series. Here are bonus submissions from Christina Evans’ class.]
1. (Turkey) First you have to get it and unwrap it. Then cook it in the oven at 13 degrees. Wait until it’s done. About 5 or 4 minutes. Then take it out and eat it.
2. (Hamburgers) Cook it in the oven at 20 degrees for 29 seconds. Put it in a bun. Put on ketchup and mustard.
3. (Lasagna) You just put stuff in it and then you cook it on a pan in the oven at the red temperature for a long time. Then you take it out and eat it on a rectangle plate.
4. (Cookies) Put salt and then pepper and then cookie frosting and sprinkles and mix together. Make it into a Santa cookie and put it on a plate. Have a drink of milk.
5. (Chicken) Put it in a pan on the stove. Turn the stove on. Leave it for 30 minutes.
6. (Cake) Put black stuff in a pan. If you want two cakes, then put another black thing in there. Put Reese’s Pieces on it. Cut the cake out if it’s stuck. Put more Reese’s Pieces on it. Put a cupcake in the cupcake pan. Put a ring in there. Put Reese’s Pieces on all the cupcakes and give all the cupcakes to Contessa.
7. (Ice cream) I don’t know how to make it.
8. (Hamburgers) Cook it in a pan. Not in the oven. Eat it.
9. (Soup) Warm soup. We have noodles. Stir it up and bake it. Put water in it and eat it.
10. (Cookies) Milk, butter, brown sugar and chocolate chips on top. Mix it up. Put them on a pan and in the oven for 10 seconds. Then you eat them.
11. (Cereal) Lucky Charms cereal is my favorite. Put milk in the cereal and you put in oatmeal and that’s how you make some yummy stuff.
12. (Cookies) My mama makes cookies. I want to eat cookies with Santa Claus.
13. (Mac and cheese) You put water in and wait until boiling and then you put milk in. Then you put butter in. Then you put curled up noodles that kind of look like a telephone. Then you put cheese in. Then put it in a big white bowl that has a lot of holes in it. I don’t know what else you do.
14. (Cookies) I only know dough. Bake them in the oven. Then put sprinkles on them.
15. (Turkey) You put it in the oven at 10 degrees. You leave it in there 9 minutes. Then put it on a rectangle plate and then you put it on the table and eat it.
16. (Christmas cookies) I haven’t watched Grandma and Mom make cookies. I was asleep. We put frosting and then sprinkles. We have snowmen, Santa, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and that’s all the cookies I have. One more thing, I have Christmas forks, spoons and knives.
17. (Macaroni and cheese) Dump the box wipe side down in a pot. Then stir the macaroni and cheese. You have to put milk in it. Then we have milk to drink and we say our prayers.
18. (Rolls) Put them in a pan with five holes. Put them in the microwave. Take them out. Sometimes you put butter on them. Then eat them.