Franklin County Jail
Police Department Arrests
• 4:50 p.m. Thursday, 1200 block of South Main Street, Cody Smith, 19, Princeton, on suspicion of consuming alcohol underage.
• 4:50 p.m. Thursday, 1200 block of South Main Street, Zachary Benedict, 26, Ottawa, on suspicion of furnishing alcohol to someone under the legal age. Benedict fled on foot from officers and was later captured and arrested a second time for fleeing and eluding, according to a police report.
• 5:32 p.m. Thursday, 300 block of South Main Street, Juan Garcia, 25, Scranton, Kan., on a City of Ottawa warrant.
• 6:24 p.m. Thursday, 1200 block of South Main Street, Dustin Markus, 35, Ottawa, was stopped for a traffic infraction. Markus stopped briefly and then fled the area at a high rate of speed. Markus later was spotted on I-35 by a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper and was arrested on multiple charges, according to the Franklin County Jail booking report.
Police Department News
• 9:16 p.m. Friday, 600 block of Maple Street, a 39-year-old Ottawa man reported his 13-year-old son was battered by a known suspect.
• 7 p.m. Wednesday, 700 block of Ash Street, an 18-year-old Ottawa woman reported her wallet was missing.
• 7:40 p.m. Wednesday, 1100 block of Ash Street, a 25-year-old Ottawa man reported his cellphone was lost or stolen.
• 4:02 p.m. Wednesday, 2000 block of South Princeton Street, a vehicle driven by Thomas Bivins, 88, Wellsville, was northbound on South Princeton Street when it started to turn left, striking a vehicle driven by Carmen Willford, 43, Pomona. Bivins was cited for improper left turn, according to the police report.
• 1:15 p.m. Thursday, Dairy Queen parking lot, 1444 S. Main St., a vehicle driven by Daniel Oglesby, 50, Ottawa, was backing out of a parking stall when it struck a 2-year-old Pomona child, according to a police report. The child suffered minor injuries, and no citations were issued.
Wellsville Police Department News
• Tuesday: Shawnee and Wyoming roads, assist outside agency; 100 block of West Sixth Street, suspicious subject; 300 block of Main Street, public assist; 800 block of Main Street, medical call.
• Wednesday: 300 block of West Seventh Street, medical call; milepost 198 on I-35, assist outside agency.
• Thursday: Milepost 198 on I-35, assist outside agency; 100 block of Walnut Street, public assist; 300 block of East 10th Street, public assist.
Ottawa Fire Department
• 10:22 a.m. Tuesday, 439 S. Cherry St., authorized controlled burning.
• Firefighters assisted with seven medical calls Monday and Tuesday.
• 4:59 p.m. Wednesday, 836 S. Locust St., firefighters responded to a report of a cooking fire. The resident was using a toaster oven and the contents started smoking, according to a fire department report. The toaster oven was removed before firefighters arrived, and there was no damage, the report said.
• 2:04 p.m. Thursday, 100 block of South Main Street, firefighters responded to a vehicle fire. A fire in the engine compartment caused an estimated $500 in damage, according to a fire department report.
• 3:05 p.m. Thursday, 2600 block of East Logan Street, firefighters assisted at the scene of a two-vehicle wreck.
• Firefighters assisted with 10 medical calls Wednesday and Thursday.
Franklin County Fire Departments
• 1:08 a.m. Saturday, 1900 block of I-35 in Franklin County, Williamsburg firefighters responded to a spilled substance.
• 3:43 a.m. Sunday, 4630 Arkansas Road, Pomona and Centropolis firefighters responded to a structure fire.
• Firefighters responded to eight medical calls Friday through Sunday.
• 9:29 a.m. Thursday, 100 block of Iowa Terrace, Lincoln-Ottawa-Harrison firefighters responded to a fire alarm. No fire was reported.
• Firefighters responded to two medical calls Tuesday through Thursday.