A smoldering hot pad on a kitchen stove touched off a fire alarm and prompted American Eagle Outfitters to evacuate its facility about 11 a.m. Wednesday at 1529 N. Davis Ave. in Ottawa Industrial Park.

“Apparently, a couple of handheld hot pads started smoldering on top of the oven,” Jeff Carner, Ottawa fire chief, said.

An employee put the hot pads in a sink, and the smoldering pads did not cause any damage, Carner said.  

Ottawa Police Department Twitter followers were able to keep abreast of the developments — from the time the fire engines were dispatched to the time they cleared the scene. The department has ramped up its Tweets this week as part of National Public Safety Telecommunications Week. Use hashtag #OPD404 to follow the department’s activities on Twitter.