County commissioners’ recipe for patching blacktop:
1) District blade operator;
2) Backhoe or skid steer;
3) One or two end dump trucks;
4) Remove bad area with backhoe;
5) Load onto end dump;
6) Have end dump bring required amount of asphalt, dump toward century road;
7) Blade operator fills patch hole with blade tilted forward on forward passes, blade roll back on reverse passes;
8) Roll patch with steel- or rubber-tired roller, or with grater and dump truck, or smooth with back hoe or skid steer bucket.
Cost to county? Hot asphalt.
I have done this many times while blade operator in northwest Franklin County from 1987 to 1997 and 20 overall years as a blade operator.
Could we possibly need better leadership?
— James Rodecap, Pomona