Callie Paquette, Ottawa, and Jordan Ratterman, Overland Park, earned second in the photo essay category, representing the Orange, Baker University’s student newspaper.
The print version of the Orange also received a 2014 Apple Award from the College Media Association as the best newspaper among four-year schools with an enrollment under 5,000 students.
At the conference, the newspaper also won the All-Kansas Award as the top collegiate news website among all Kansas colleges.
The print version won the Kansas Collegiate Media’s All-Kansas Award as the top private-college newspaper in the state.
Seniors Sara Bell and Tera Lyons serve as this year’s editors. In addition to the group honors, Bell received $100 as runner-up for the four-year newspaper Journalist of the Year Award.
In individual KCM contests, Lyons led Baker by placing first in three categories: illustration, photo essay and feature photography. She also placed second in page design, ad design and sports photography. Bell had two separate entries that took first and second place in sports writing.
Other Baker students who earned individual honors included:
• Taylor Schley — first in infographics
• Lauren Bechard — second in sports feature writing; second in column writing; third in feature writing
• Jenna Stanbrough — second in feature writing; second in news writing
• Abbey Elsbernd — second in illustration
• Jordan Ratterman — third in feature photography
• Senior Katie Thurbon, Topeka — third in news writing