POMONA — A 47-year-old man and his dog escaped injury when a gas explosion rocked a Pomona house they were occupying late Monday morning.

Alan Radcliffe, Franklin County Emergency Management director, said it appears a natural gas explosion about 11:45 a.m. Monday left the house uninhabitable at 335 W. Franklin St.

Dean Fritzson advised he lit the pilot light on his water heater and it exploded shortly after, according to a Franklin County Sheriff's report.

“There was one occupant and they were checked out by [Emergency Medical Services] and refused treatment,” Radcliffe said. “They are lucky. The house is totaled. Red Cross has been called to assist the resident.”

The occupant was not identified.

The Pomona Fire Department extinguished the smoldering remnants of the explosion. Radcliffe said Monday afternoon the cause of the explosion was being investigated by the fire department in conjunction with the Kansas Gas Service Company.