Glimpse of Ottawa’s downtown past
A historic photo from the J.B. Muecke Collection shows a view looking south of the 100 block South Main Street in downtown Ottawa during the late afternoon sometime in the mid-20th century. The Zellner building, built circa 1882, can be seen in the center on the photo at the corner of Second and South Main streets. The third floor of the building collapsed June 14, 1982, and the building was razed soon after. The property now is the site of Edward E. Haley Community Park, named after the property owner at the time of the collapse. The third floor of the building was used through the years as an opera house, dance hall and even a skating rink. Another recently demolished building at 124 S. Main St., can be seen in the extreme right of the photo. The building was razed after determined to be structurally unsound earlier this year.