Crawford County investigates shooting

PITTSBURG — The Crawford County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a homicide which happened Sunday in Pittsburg.

At approximately 9:51 p.m. the sheriff’s office responded to a call from a resident at 1313 W. Atkinson, a release from the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office said. The Pittsburg Police Department, Kansas Highway Patrol and Crawford County Emergency Medical Services also responded to the scene.

The caller identified as Michael J. Woodson reported that he had just shot his father, the release said. Officers responded to the residence and upon arrival located Woodson who was placed under arrest. A deceased male victim was located inside the house.

The victim was identified as David M. Buckley, 53, of Pittsburg, the release said. The Crawford County Deputy coroner responded to the scene and the body was transported to Kansas City for autopsy. Woodson was transported to the Crawford County Jail, where he was subsequently booked in on a charge of first degree murder. Woodson is presumed innocent unless and until the allegations against him are proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

Two arrested after highway patrol pursuit

TOPEKA — Two people were taken into custody Monday night following a Kansas Highway Patrol pursuit through Topeka.

The pursuit resulted in the arrest of 21-year-old Keshawn Ivy. He was arrested in connection with interference with a law enforcement officer, obstruction, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and violation of the governor’s proclamation. A woman, who has not been identified, was also arrested in connection with a City of Topeka traffic warrant.

Just after 4 p.m. Monday, a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper spotted a vehicle in the 500 blk. of S.W. Lane St. that matched the description of a vehicle involved in a Topeka Police Department investigation.

According to a news release from the police department, the trooper attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver “initiated a brief pursuit.” The driver was taken into custody shortly after without incident.

The news release stated that a passenger of the vehicle fled on foot and was taken into custody in the 200 block of S.W. Quinton Ave. around 5:30 p.m.